Monday, December 29, 2008

competition is healthy...right?

This evening, my sister noted that I had not posted on the mitknit blog in a long time. Now, granted, I do not go to MIT and therefore am not a legitimate member of mitknit, but apparently, Shreya and I are the only people that post on this blog?

I don't have too much to say today, except that I have become overly obsessed with lists. This past weekend, I managed to not only sort through all my yarn, but actually create my own mini inventory of every ball or skein of yarn that I own, including its color name, dye lot, weight, and any extra information I could find on the labels. Literally any information.

(Yes, I admit I am a weeeeee bit OCD, but what if I lose the label after starting a project and not continuing it? How on Earth will I find the label within all that clutter, aka the one folder I have containing all my yarn labels? But... seriously, who am I kidding? I don't think I could lose the label to a ball of yarn if I tried. (still OCD though))

Anyway, doing this brought me to the realization that...(drumroll please).....its time to stop buying sock yarn! I have now told myself that I will not buy ANY more sock yarn, no matter how fancy the stripes are, until I have finished the 13 balls of sock yarn that I listed in my inventory (in addition to 6 balls of Noro Silk Garden and some lace yarn that I don't count since it resides in the basement). Basically, I have my work cut out for me.

13 pairs of socks. No big deal, right? That is only 130 hours of knitting socks. I could knit straight through for 5.4 days, finish all my sock yarn, and still have time to buy myself some sock yarn before heading back to school.
yeah....no.

Now that I have my priorities straightened out, and have been solely making socks since mid July (with some hats and scarves thrown in there).....instead of knitting socks right now, I am working on a brickwork scarf pattern, given to me along with gorgeous hand dyed yarn by my aunt. Shreya is working on the same pattern, but started a couple days before me, so she has a head start.

Obviously, even though I started later, this is quickly developing into quite the race. Since we are using the same yarn, the same size needles, and the same pattern, the competition is perfect. (Now all I have to do is catch up to her....) My mother is doing the shawl version of the same pattern, but since she started late last night and is working simultaneously on a cabled sweater, I will cut her some slack.

I am currently resisting the urge to stay up until some ridiculous hour in the morning while Shreya peacefully sleeps, until I not only catch up to her, but get one repeat past where she is.

I will probably have to hide my needles from myself...otherwise I might just do this.
In fact, I should probably go upstairs now.

Happy New Year and Happy Knitting!

<3 peace <3

(Neha)

No comments:

Contributors